Christmas French Toast
- 500 ml eggnog
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 200 gram Driscoll's Strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise
- Driscoll's Blueberries (for decorating the tree, 50 gram)
- Driscoll's Blackberries (for decorating the tree, 1-2 pieces needed)
- Driscoll's Raspberries (6 pieces, or depending on the size of the tree)
- 50 gram confectioners' sugar
- 6 thick slices dense, stale bread (country white or wheat bread)
- Dash freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Prep time: 10 min | Cook Time: 2 minutes | 1 tree, suitable for 2-3 people | christmas | breakfast
If bread is fresh, allow slices to sit uncovered for a few hours to dry out.
Mix eggnog with eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Line large, shallow baking pan with bread slices. Pour eggnog mixture over the bread, turning the slices once to coat both sides. Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Heat a greased griddle over medium heat. Cook bread slices about 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan then cut the 2 bottom corners off at an angle leaving the top crust intact. Bottom of the slice should now be in a V pattern. Place slices on a platter and create a berry Christmas tree by layering berry slices V side up to form pyramid shape. Arrange a single blackberry as a stump, sliced strawberries for the tree skirt, 6 raspberries as a tree topper, and then create a garland of small blueberries as decorations.
Top with dusting of powdered sugar for snow and nutmeg.