Cheeky strawberry tarts
- 200 gram Driscoll's strawberries
- 300 gram of flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 225 gram of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200 gram of cream cheese at room temperature
- 100 gram granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 75 gram peeled pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
80 min | 32 servings | dessert | snacking | easter
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until its light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
- Keep scraping the sides of the bowl to mix in all the cheese and butter. With the mixer at low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until it has been completely incorporated.
- Scatter some flour over the work surface and divide the dough in 2.
- Wrap each piece in cling film and leave to rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
- In the meantime bring the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon to the boil in a medium pan on medium heat. Stir from time to time.
- Keep the heat on medium and leave to reduce, approximately 15-18 minutes.
- Mash the strawberries with a spatula.
- Take the pan of the heat and leave the filling to cool down.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pre heat the oven to 175 °C and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Take 1st the ball of dough from the fridge. - Roll it out with a rolling pin covered in flour until it's a circle of 12 inches and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Thinly spread half of the strawberry filling over the dough.
- Cut the dough in 16 slices with a pizza cutter.
- Scatter half of the pistachio nuts over the filling.
- Roll each triangle by starting with the wide end, and finishing at the pointy bit.
- Put them on the baking sheet.
- Repeat this with the second half of the dough, the remaining pistachio nuts, and the rest of the filling.
- Cover the rolls with a beaten egg and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until they are golden brown.