Curried Wheatberries with Blueberries
- 140 gram of hard wheat berries rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 Tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 60 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tsp. fresh grated ginger root
- 4 Teaspoons garam masala or curry powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (to garnish, if desired)
- 180 ml of canola oil
- 25 grams of cilantro coarsely chopped
- 200 grams of Driscoll’s Blueberries
- 75 grams of almonds, toasted (optional)
- 10 grams of mint coarsely chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
25 min + 60 min cook time | 6 | dinner | lunch | barbecue | picnic
Combine wheat berries, turmeric, salt and enough water to cover by 5 cm in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 55 to 65 minutes or until the wheat berries are tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
While the wheat berries are cooking, make the curry vinaigrette. Combine lemon juice, garlic, ginger and garam masala in a nonreactive bowl. Slowly whisk in oil and add cilantro.
To assemble salad, stir in enough vinaigrette to moisten the warm wheat berries. Add blueberries, almonds, scallions and mint and gently toss to combine adding more salt, pepper and vinaigrette if desired.